Edouard Heuer started the Heuer watch brand in 1860, in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland, although it wasn’t actually known by the current name until over a hundred years later. Heuer obtained his first patent for a chronograph in 1882, and another for his oscillating pinion in 1887.
This commitment to the advancement of time keeping technologies helped the company to have considerable influence on the watch making world, giving it a presence that continues to be felt by enthusiasts.
Heuer’s Time of Trip chronograph was introduced in 1911, and was designed for use on the dashboards of cars and planes, while the first wrist mounted chronograph came a few years later, followed by a series of increasingly accurate stopwatch timers – these were used at three Olympic Games in the 1920s. The Autavia timer extended Heuer’s aviation tradition into the 30s and 40s, while a number of later developments continued this through the century, including some within the field of motor racing.
Abercrombie and Fitch started selling Heuer timepieces in the 50s, with a range featuring varied components suited to aviation, but also designed to appeal to ordinary consumers.
Heuer were involved in the race to the first automatic chronographs in the late 60s, and continued a program of innovative developments in the field into the 70s and 80s. LCD displays were introduced in the 80s, keeping the brand in line with technological developments, as well as those in style. The name TAG Heuer was adopted in 1985, and stands for Techniques d’Avant Garde.
Moving towards and indeed beyond the end of the 20th century, TAG Heuer exhibited increasing sophistication in visual style, with the watch range among the most highly regarded in the fashion stakes. A continued commitment to excellence in both design and technology has won the company many honours and much recognition.
December 15, 2009 at 12:24 pm | | No comment